[Rd] R CMD build --resave-data

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Wed Apr 13 19:50:49 CEST 2011

On 13.04.2011 02:53, Hervé Pagès wrote:
> [...]
>>> in the data/ folder. So in order to get rid of this warning I
>>> tried to move those text files to inst/extdata/ and I modified
>>> the code in the .R file so it does:
>>>
>>> CMVdata_filepath <- system.file("extdata", "CMVdata", package="Icens")
>>> bet <- matrix(scan(CMVdata_filepath, quiet=TRUE),nc=5,byr=TRUE)
>>>
>>> But now 'R CMD build' fails to resave the data because the package
>>> was not installed first and the CMVdata file could not be found.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, for a lot of people that means that the safe way to
>>> build a source tarball now is with
>>>
>>> R CMD build --keep-empty-dirs --no-resave-data
>>

>> Hervé,
>>
>> actually is makes some sense to have these defaults from a CRAN
>> maintainer's point of view:
>>
>> --keep-empty-dirs:
>> we found many packages containing empty dirs unnecessarily and the idea
>> is to exclude them at the build state rather than at the later
>> installation stage. Note that the package maintainer is supposed to run
>> build (and knows if the empty dirs are to be included, the user who runs
>> INSTALL does not).
>>
>> --no-resave-data:
>> We found many packages with unsufficiently compressed data. This should
>> be fixed when building the package, not later when installing it, since
>> the reduces size is useful in the source tarball already.
>>
>> So it does make some sense to have different defaults in build as
>> opposed to INSTALL from my point of view (although I could live with
>> different, tough).
>
> If you deliberately ignore the fact that 'R CMD INSTALL' is also used
> by developers to install from the *package source tree* (by opposition
> to end users who use it to install from a *source tarball*, even though
> they don't use it directly), then you have a point. So maybe I should
> have been more explicit about the problem that it can be for the
> *developer* to have 'R CMD build' and 'R CMD INSTALL' behave
> differently by default.
>
> Of course I'm not suggesting that 'R CMD INSTALL' should behave
> differently (by default) depending on whether it's used on a source
> tarball (mode 1) or a package source tree (mode 2).
>
> I'm suggesting that, by default, the 3 commands (R CMD build +
> R CMD INSTALL in mode 1 and 2) behave consistently.
>
> With the latest changes, and by default, 'R CMD INSTALL' is still doing
> the right thing, but not 'R CMD build' anymore.
>
> I perfectly understand the intention behind those new flags, which is
> to try to "optimize" the resulting source tarball but what would you
> think if 'gcc' had some optimization flags that can generate broken
> executables (under some circumstances) and if these flags were enabled
> by default?
>
> Note that I would have no problem with 'R CMD build' trying to resave
> the data by default if the current implementation of that feature
> was working properly, but unfortunately it's broken (see my previous

It is one thing to talk about sensible defaults and another thing to
talk about bugs. I just talked about sensible defaults. And I have not
had the time to look iunto details. I just arrived in Dortmund 15
minutes ago and I the first thing I have to do is repairing some
winbuilder stuff and get 2.13.0 ready on it. I may look into other
details later this week or at the beginning of next week.

Uwe