[Rd] How to get R to compile with PNG support

Karl-Dieter Crisman kcrisman at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 18:16:11 CEST 2011

Followup with the specific issue in our most recent (non-posted, as of
yet) attempts on a certain box.  We now have xorg-dev, libcairo-dev,
and Xwindows.h and libpng (as below) on this machine, but R is not
compiling with support for any of these things.

Once again, any help knowing *exactly* what to pass to the
configuration script or anything else would be *greatly* appreciated.
We are planning to use R in Sage on several occasions with this
machine this summer if we can get this going (see
http://www.maa.org/prep/2011/sage.html).

++++

R is now configured for i686-pc-linux-gnu
 Source directory:          .
 Installation directory:    /home/sageserver/sage/local
 C compiler:                gcc -std=gnu99
-I/home/sageserver/sage/local/include
-L/home/sageserver/sage/local/lib/   Fortran 77 compiler:
sage_fortran  -g -O2
 C++ compiler:              g++  -g -O2
 Fortran 90/95 compiler:    sage_fortran -g -O2  Obj-C compiler:
 Interfaces supported:      X11
 External libraries:        readline, BLAS(ATLAS), LAPACK(generic)
Additional capabilities:   PNG, NLS
 Options enabled:           shared R library, R profiling
 Recommended packages:      yes

However:

> capabilities()
   jpeg      png     tiff    tcltk      X11     aqua http/ftp  sockets
  FALSE    FALSE    FALSE    FALSE    FALSE    FALSE     TRUE     TRUE

 libxml     fifo   cledit    iconv      NLS  profmem    cairo
   TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE    FALSE    FALSE