[Rd] Window binary packages built for R 2.13.0 do not work in 2.10.0 (was useDynLib in older versions e.g. (2.10))

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Apr 21 10:15:50 CEST 2011

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011, Tobias Abenius wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has something changed regarding the useDynLib in the NAMESPACE file in
> packages?

No.  As the FAQ asked re bug reports, please don't post speculation
rather than problem description.

> I've written a package that works in e.g. 2.12/2.13 but simply
> cannot find the dynamic library under windows. The version on CRAN is older
> than the one I'm talking about and depends on a newer version of R but I want
> to make the package available to people with older versions.

Do you mean 'make a binary version of the package ....'?
Binary packages are (on all platforms, but specifically on Windows and
Mac OS X) intended for use only on the same 2.x.[012] versions of R.
That warning was not meant to be ignored!

If you had bothered to read the CHANGES file you would known that the
location of files on Windows binary installations changed in R 2.12.0:
of course there is no way that R 2.10.0 (as the posting guide points
out there is no '2.10') could know that was going to be changed a year
later.

The solution is for you to prepare a binary package for each version
of R you want it available with and make it available on your own
repository.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk