[Rd] useDynLib in older versions e.g. (2.10)

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Thu Apr 21 11:54:40 CEST 2011

On 21.04.2011 11:30, Tobias Abenius wrote:
> Dear R-devel,
>
> I investigated further by tracing into library.dynam.
> The .dll file export a symbol "ccd". In e.g. R 2.8.1 the following
> command succeeds,
>
> dyn.load('/Program
> Files/R/R-2.8.1/library/lassoshooting/libs/i386/lassoshooting.dll')
>
> and the external symbol "ccd" becomes available.
>
> However, inside library.dynam it doesn't add i386 to the path because
> .Platform$r_arch is "". One way would be to re-zip the package with a
> copy of the i386 version outside of the i386 directory, directly under
> libs. That would work, but then I know I cannot commit a binary package
> to CRAN. I guess I'm not the only one having this problem.
>
> Happy easter, Tobias

I think you are mislead:
CRAN accepts source packages only. Binaries are made by CRAN (or more
particular by myself in Dortmund). For new packages or updates as of
today, we make binaries for R-2.12.x and R-2.13.x available. Note that
between major releases of R, you cannot assume that packages will work.
The help system changed in R-2.10.x (and no binaries are compatible
before vs. after the R-2.10.0 version) and the location of libraries in
R-2.12.x changed under Windows.

If you need a binary for R-2.8.x, you will have to INSTALL from sources
with R-2.8.x, otherwise we cannot guarantee compatibility. Note that
R-2.8.1 is unsupported and 5 major releases back!

Uwe Ligges