[Rd] R CMD Sweave versus Sweave() on Windows

Pfaff, Bernhard Dr. Bernhard_Pfaff at fra.invesco.com
Thu Apr 21 15:04:02 CEST 2011

> On Thu, 21 Apr 2011, Pfaff, Bernhard Dr. wrote:
>
> > Dear list subscriber,
> >
> > I am quite puzzled by the behaviour of processing Sweave
> files within an R session, i.e.
> > Sweave("foo.Rnw") versus R CMD Sweave foo.Rnw
> >
> > In the former the environmental variable
> 'SWEAVE_STYLEPATH_DEFAULT =
> > TRUE' is obeyed (this is set in etc/Renviron.site as well
> as under the
> > users home directory in .Renviron). That is the hard-coded path to
> > Sweave.sty is included in the resultant tex-file, whereas if the
> > Sweave file is processed from cmd.exe as R CMD Sweave foo.Rnw, only
> > \usepackage{Sweave} is included.
> >
> > Any pointers are much appreciated.
>
> R CMD Sweave does not read the startup files.  Try runnning R
> --vanilla and Sweave("foo.Rnw"): you will see the same.

Dear Prof. Ripley,

many thanks for your swift reply. This is indeed correct and educative --thanks for this; but now I am kind of curious where this different behaviour compared to version 2.12.0 has been announced or can be found? I have read the NEWS file and the Windows specific NEWS of the latest release, but was not able to find any pointer. That is, if I issue 'R CMD Sweave foo.Rnw' in cmd.exe with R version 2.12.0, the hard-coded path to Sweave.sty is included and hence environmental variables contained in the startup files are read.
Asked differently, is there a way such that R CMD Sweave does read the startup files under R 2.13.0?

re: Kasper, many thanks for your reply. Incidentally, I have had 'Sys.setenv("SWEAVE_STYLEPATH_DEFAULT" = "TRUE")' directive already included in my .Rprofile, but as Prof. Ripley correcly pointed out, these settings are not taken effect.

Best,
Bernhard