[Rd] FW: [Rcpp-devel] Question on 5.6 Interfacing C++ code

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Apr 23 11:56:12 CEST 2011

    > On Apr 21, 2011, at 10:52 AM, Sean Robert McGuffee wrote:

    >> Thanks,
    >> That's great, but I don't know how to determine what foo is.

    > It's the name of your package.

    >> How do I declare the name of the package?
    >>

    > in DESCRIPTION:
    > Package: name

    > and the directory of your package has to have the same name -

that is no longer true ( since .. rough guess ... about two
years).
And that's actually quite an important feature to me.
E.g., I can have a directory, say   lme4_MM_2001-04-18/
with a "particularly hacked" version version,
and then simply  do
    R CMD check lme4_MM_2001-04-18
which will install and check it in  lme4_MM_2001-04-18.Rcheck/

    > please do read
    > http://r.research.att.com/man/R-exts.html#Creating-R-packages

so indeed, we should cancel the sentence
   The package subdirectory should be given the same name as the package.
in there, or maybe rather replace it by
   The package subdirectory typically has the same name as the package.

Martin