[Rd] Thread synchronization [Was: Interrupting C++ code execution]

Sean Robert McGuffee sean.mcguffee at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 21:21:12 CEST 2011

Hi Simon,
That makes a lot of sense to me. I'll start reading about R's event loop
signaling. I'm not sure what the best method will be for me to flag the
completeness of a threaded process in my case. In abstract it seems that I
could get R's event loop to look for any type of flag. I think key for me in
this case will be identifying whether a particular file has been completely
produced or not. In principle I could put that type of info into the file
itself, but I think I could also make a temp file somewhere with it's full
path and flag info about it. Then the event loop could look for a particular
pattern of temp file names. On the other hand, if I pass in that info when I
start the event loop, that might work too. Regarding the external pointer
idea, I was thinking about passing an object to R as a return value after
launching the thread, and then I might be able to access a pointer inside
that object to reference it from my thread. That could be a binary vector or
any type of object if I can figure out how to get to it from my thread.
Honestly, I don't know much about dynamic referencing of objects from
separate threads, but in principle memory is shared in this case. I'll let
you know if I come up with anything generic... Please keep me posted on your
package. Are any versions of it available yet? It didn't happen to come up
on my list of R packages. I haven't necessarily been maintaining an
up-to-date version of R though. I don't know if that influences the package
list it shows me.
Sean