[Rd] example package for devel newcomers

Daniel Fuka drf28 at cornell.edu
Mon Aug 1 15:46:16 CEST 2011

Hi Alexandre,

Is there a preferred language you would like to use in your package
development? I randomly downloaded packages until I found some that
helped me along my way, and might be able to help you pick one. If you
are just looking at building a package of R functions and data you
have developed, possibly the following example will get you started
till you feel comfortable with the "Writing R Extensions"
documentation (http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-exts.pdf):

# Start R
dir.create("mynewpackage")
setwd("mynewpackage/")
rm(list=objects())
mydata<-data.frame(a=c(1,3,5),b=c(3,6,8))
mystat<-function(x,y){x*y}
package.skeleton(list=objects(),name="mypackage")
list.files()
list.files("mypackage/")
system("R CMD build mypackage")
system("R CMD check mypackage_1.0.tar.gz")
# You will see an error here which directs you to look at the .Rcheck
directory...
edit(file="mypackage.Rcheck/00install.out")
# indicates you need to fill in the title fields of the man pages need
to be filled in.

This should give you a start and get you using the Writing R
Extensions docs. If you need more help, feel free to contact me
outside of the list. Don't worry, the first one might be confusing,
but after the first, they become fun.

Enjoy,
dan