[Rd] NAMESPACE problems

robin hankin hankin.robin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 05:53:15 CEST 2011

Hi.

I am having difficulty following section 1.6.6 of the R-extensions manual.

I am trying to update the Brobdingnag package to include a NAMESPACE file (the
untb package requires the Brobdingnag package).

Without the NAMESPACE file, the package passes R CMD check cleanly.

However, if I include a NAMESPACE file, even an empty one, R CMD check
gives the following error in 00install.out:

wt118:~/packages% cat Brobdingnag.Rcheck/00install.out
* installing *source* package ‘Brobdingnag’ ...
** R
** inst
** preparing package for lazy loading
Creating a generic for ‘max’ in package ‘Brobdingnag’
    (the supplied definition differs from and overrides the implicit generic
    in package ‘base’: Classes: "nonstandardGenericFunction", "standardGeneric")
Creating a generic for ‘min’ in package ‘Brobdingnag’
    (the supplied definition differs from and overrides the implicit generic
    in package ‘base’: Classes: "nonstandardGenericFunction", "standardGeneric")
Creating a generic for ‘range’ in package ‘Brobdingnag’
    (the supplied definition differs from and overrides the implicit generic
    in package ‘base’: Classes: "nonstandardGenericFunction", "standardGeneric")
Creating a generic for ‘prod’ in package ‘Brobdingnag’
    (the supplied definition differs from and overrides the implicit generic
    in package ‘base’: Classes: "nonstandardGenericFunction", "standardGeneric")
Creating a generic for ‘sum’ in package ‘Brobdingnag’
    (the supplied definition differs from and overrides the implicit generic
    in package ‘base’: Classes: "nonstandardGenericFunction", "standardGeneric")
Error in setGeneric(f, where = where) :
  must supply a function skeleton, explicitly or via an existing function
Error : unable to load R code in package 'Brobdingnag'
ERROR: lazy loading failed for package ‘Brobdingnag’
* removing ‘/Users/rksh/packages/Brobdingnag.Rcheck/Brobdingnag’
wt118:~/packages%

AFAICS, all the setGeneric() calls are pretty much like this:

setGeneric("getX",function(x){standardGeneric("getX")})

Can anyone advise?

thank you

Robin

--