[Rd] example package for devel newcomers

Alexandre Aguiar asaguiar at spsconsultoria.com
Wed Aug 3 19:19:42 CEST 2011

Simon,

Em Quarta 03 Agosto 2011, você escreveu:
> In that light you may want to explain why you need 2-5 since the
> easiest way is to simply link to libphp.

Resources accessible to libphp through apache are limited by ssytem
configurations. With libphp fully available to every user there are
potential problems. For instance, snooping into system configurations
especially in networked applications or a maliciously hacked user
compiled libphp.

About 2: the need for configuration changes tailored to local
restrictions. Have convinced myself that building R_CMethodDef and
R_CallMethodDef dinamically will be better. For instance, in
a "precompiled scenario" php functions that make use of db4 libraries
would cause a crash if those libraries are not available.

About 5: a user could redefine parameters to "reuse" libphp directly
using "good guy" loading mechanism of Rphp. While Rphp itself would be
harmless, loading its library would make libphp available within the R
process. R might be used as unsuspected hacking tool.

I mean, exporting functions from libphp can be good or evil and
potentially harmful without the limits imposed by apache and with the
potential use of a hacked libphp.

> As for 7, R uses mingw gcc (see Windows FAQ, we provide all the tools)
> so as long as php can be built that way there should due no issues.

I'll check that out asap.

Regarding recursion and stack size, I have been assured by a php developer
that it currently is not a concern. Have also found that a recursion
problem with libpcre (used by libphp) has been solved.

In a phrase: problems I foresee are related to deployment of libphp and
potential security breaches.

Thanx and cheers.

--

Alexandre