[Rd] gsub("\\", "\\\\", "C:\Program Files\R")

mafia88 giuseppe.casalicchio at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 10:52:21 CEST 2011

Hi,

I think it is not possible in R but I rather ask before giving up:

What I have: I have copied "C:\Program Files\R" into my clipboard.
What I want: setwd(transform("C:\Program Files\R")) where the function
transform should change the "C:\Program Files\R" from my clipboard to
"C:\\Program Files\\R" so that R can handle it. Is this possible?
I've tried with gsub("\\", "\\\\", "C:\Program Files\R") but failed, then
tried first to split the full clipboard string cause \P is reserved in R but
with strsplit("C:\Program Files\R", "") I also failed.

Therefore the question: It is really necessary to manually add a second "\"
in "C:\Program Files\R", so that setwd("C:\\Program Files\\R") can change my
work directory?
Cause I am getting tired making this manually... yes I know I can use the
Search&Replace function from the Editor but I thought R can do everything?

I hope someone could help me :(