[Rd] Licensing Issue with JRI

Lokkju Brennr lokkju at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 23:26:59 CEST 2011

Hoping someone can clear up a licencing question...

My understanding is that R is licensed under the GPL, with some
headers licensed under the LGPL (per COPYRIGHTS, so that R plugins
don't have to be GPL - arguably incorrect, but besides the point).
JRI states that it is licensed under the LGPL - but it links against R
shared libraries (or so is my understanding - please correct me if I'm
wrong).
This seems incompatible, as per
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLModuleLicense) if there
is any GPL code in a compiled assembly, the resulting binary must be
GPL, and per (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfLibraryIsGPL)
if a library is GPL, then anything that links against it must be GPL.

Anyone have any input here?

Thanks

Loki