[Rd] Licensing Issue with JRI

Lokkju Brennr lokkju at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 18:40:58 CEST 2011

Simon,

I wasn't trying to claim that JRI *couldn't* be licensed under LGPL
(though if it sounded that way, I understand - I was a bit unclear),
but rather that it made no sense, as there is no way to use JRI under
the LGPL, since it must always be linked with R to be of any use - and
that linking would cause the entire work to be under GPL.
rJava is a different beast entirely from JRI, though JRI is now
included with it - rJava allows R to call Java code, where as JRI
allows Java to call R.  They are separate code bases, and just happen
to be package together in the rJava release.

It looks like the solution to my conundrum (calling R from a non-GPL
compatible application) can be solved by using Rserve and the socket
API - but I still think the license on JRI is unclear, since it
advertises itself as LGPL, even though there is no way to make use of
it as such.

Loki