[Rd] matrix bands

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Aug 26 18:11:02 CEST 2011

    > Thanks for the suggestion, Martin!  I looked at both
    > Matrix::band and Matrix::bandSparse. Maybe I misunderstand the
    > help pages and the examples, but from what I can see neither of
    > them provides the functionality I was looking for.

    > For the getter version of the function I was looking for, I
    > can't use Matrix::band (by extracting the non-zero elements)
    > because this would require the assumption that the specified
    > band is entirely non-zero, e.g.:

>     band3 <- function(x,n){
>        x <- Matrix::band(x,n,n)
>        x[x!=0] ## works for a dense matrix, but not if band n has zeroes
>     }

> As for the setter version of the function I was looking for, it should
> set the values of a specified band in an existing matrix to be the
> vector of values provided. As far as I understand, Matrix::bandSparse
> constructs a matrix rather than modifying the values of an existing matrix.

Yes, you are right.  The current bandSparse() doesn't do that...
and while you could use constructions like
    diag(A[,-1]) <- dd
there will probably better (more efficient) alternatives.

> The functions included in my last post filled this gap. If Matrix::band
> and Matrix::bandSparse can set/get bands in this way, I would like to
> see how this can be done. If not, then perhaps they could be extended to
> achieve this functionality.

That's a good suggestion, and I'll look at it,
further I'll look at your examples of "getting" ...
and at the moment I'm still a bit curious why, i.e., to what end
/ in what application you need them [ rather than  band(*,.,.) ].
We may e-talk about this off-public if you want.

Martin