[Rd] read.table segfaults

Göran Broström goran.brostrom at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 11:49:21 CEST 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Scott <ncbi2r at googlemail.com> wrote:
> It does look like you've got a memory issue. perhaps using
>  as.is=TRUE, and/or stringsAsFactors=FALSE will help as optional arguments
> to read.table
>
> if you don't specify these sorts of things, R can have to look through the
> file and figure out which columns are characters/factors etc and so the
> larger files cause more of a headache for R I'm guess. Hopefully someone
> else can comment further on this? I'd true toggling TRUE/FALSE for as.is and
> stringsAsFactors.
>
>   do you have other objects loaded in memory as well? this file by itself
> might not be the problem - but it's a cumulative issue.
>   have you checked the file structure in any other manner?
>   how large (Mb/kb) is the file that you're trying to read?
>   if you just read in parts of the file, is it okay?
>      read.table(filename,header=FALSE,sep="\t",nrows=100)
>      read.table(filename,header=FALSE,sep="\t",skip=20000,nrows=100)

Today, after a night's sleep, there are no segfaults! (The computer
also slept, I turned it off.)  So what is going on? Maybe I shouldn't
bother.... but I installed the latest patched version yesterday,
immediately tried to read the file with a segfault as a result, turned
the machine off and on, and no problems. Do we need to reboot after a
new install (note, this is not Windows)?

Göran

> --

Göran Broström