[Rd] S3 methods in default namespace

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Sun Aug 28 17:25:31 CEST 2011

On 27.08.2011 20:02, Hadley Wickham wrote:
>>> Are there any plans for figuring out potential S3 methods and declaring
>>> them
>>> with S3method() in the automatic default NAMESPACE?
>>
>> There are no safe ways to do that.
>
> So doesn't that break packages that use S3 but don't have a NAMESPACE?

Maybe, but since the methods are exported as functions they are also
found for method dispatch and imported, if another package imports from
the Namspace. The problem I see is what happens if method dispatch is
done on a package that is not attached but just the Namespace is only
loaded.

Anyway, we should really recommend that package authors write NAMESPACE
files in case their packages are not trivial.
Note that there are many CRAN packages that fail under R-devel, some of
them sue to NAMESPACE issues.

Best,
Uwe