[Rd] Non-GPL C (or R) inside of a package

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Aug 30 22:52:21 CEST 2011

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 30/08/2011 1:50 PM, Jeffrey Ryan wrote:
>> R-devel,
>>
>> I am interested in creating a package that requires non-GPL'd
>> (commercial) C code to work.  In essence it is a single .c file
>> with no use of R headers (all .C callable functions).  For
>> example's sake:
>>
>>    1 #include<stdio.h>
>>    2
>>    3 void test (int *a) {
>>    4   *a = 101;
>>    5 }
>>
>> The package isn't destined for CRAN, and I realize that this isn't
>> R-legal, but looking for some expert advice from anyone else who
>> may have encountered this previously.
>>
>> The question is whether or not one can distribute code that has
>> multiple licenses (.c or individual .R files), including some that
>> are not GPL-compatible, as a tar.gz (or binary) file.  i.e., does
>> the packaging process [R CMD ***] cause everything to become GPL,
>> as we are using R itself to build the package?
>>
> I can only say that the answer to the last question is "no":  the author gets
> to choose the license for what s/he wrote.  The fact that you used R to
> package it is irrelevant.  (Some extremists will disagree, and say that
> because your package is intended to "link" to R, it must be licensed
> compatibly with the GPL if you distribute it.  I don't think that's true.)

If no distribution is involved, the conditions under which the tarball
can be distributed is not relevant.

As e.g. GNU tar is itself under GPL, using R to do the packaging is no
different in principle to using GNU tar to do so and I've never heard
anyone argue that using GNU tar affects the licence of the tarball.

I don't think that is the same issue as distributing non-GPLed code
for use with R.  In the latter case the issue is what 'link to'
actually entails, and one source of advice is the GPL FAQs.  E.g.
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0-faq.html
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html