[Rd] Vignette using parallel's makeCluster function has trouble building on Windows 7

Rich Calaway richcalaway at revolutionanalytics.com
Tue Dec 6 01:19:36 CET 2011

Hi, all--

I've been working on a doParallel package to provide a foreach
parallel backend for the new parallel package, but I am having trouble
building the vignette. On my system, if I use the following minimal
vignette (call it buggyVignette.Rnw):
   \documentclass[a4paper]{article}

   \title{Sweave Example 1}
   \author{Rich Calaway}

   \begin{document}

   \maketitle

   In this example I try to run code using library parallel in a vignette:

   <<>>=
   library(parallel)
   cl <- makeCluster(3)
   @

   and find that I get an error.

   \end{document}

I get the following error when I try to build the package:

   C:\Users\richcalaway\RforgeDev\doparallel>C:\R\R-2.14.0\bin\R CMD build pkg
   * checking for file 'pkg/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
   * preparing 'doParallel':
   * checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... OK
   * installing the package to re-build vignettes
   * creating vignettes ...Warning in file(con, "r") :
     cannot open file
'C:\Users\RICHCA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpQlF1YN\xshell63892b
   c4': Permission denied
   Error in file(con, "r") : cannot open the connection
   Execution halted

If I simply comment out the line with the call to makeCluster, the
package (complete with vignette) builds. Also, I can use R CMD
Sweave/pdflatex together to produce a PDF without error. Has anyone
else encountered this problem, and if so, how did you fix it? I can
work around the problem if need be by converting the code chunk to a
LaTeX verbatim, but that doesn't seem very vignette-friendly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Below is my sessionInfo and my
current path
> sessionInfo()
R version 2.14.0 (2011-10-31)
Platform: i386-pc-mingw32/i386 (32-bit)

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252
[2] LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252
[3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252
[4] LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:

PATH=c:\Rtools214\bin;c:\Rtools214\MinGW\bin;c:\Rtools214\MinGW64\bin;C:\Ruby\bin;C:\Program
Files (x86)\MiKTeX 2.9\miktex\bin;C;\Windows\system32;

Regards,

Rich Calaway

--
Rich Calaway