[Rd] bug in rank(), order(), is.unsorted() on character vector

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Thu Dec 8 10:57:02 CET 2011

Hi Paul,

On 11-12-07 10:29 AM, Roebuck,Paul L wrote:
> Do this first and try again.
>
> R>  Sys.setlocale("LC_COLLATE", "C")

OK I see it now (in ?Sys.setlocale):

   Sys.setlocale("LC_COLLATE", "C")   # turn off locale-specific sorting,
                                      #  usually

Thanks all for the answers!

I never really realized how far some collating sequence could go in
terms of counter-intuitiveness e.g. the fact that LC_COLLATE=en_CA.UTF-8
doesn't preserve the order of the strings when a common suffix is
added to them is scary. Also it's not that LC_COLLATE=en_CA.UTF-8
just ignores the '_' (underscores) and the '.' (dots), that can only be
the first pass, then it needs to break ties in a way that defines a
total order. So it looks like the exact definition of this collating
sequence is counter-intuitive and complicated.

Maybe that's just how things are and the developers that want
portability and reproducibility of their code are already putting
a Sys.setlocale("LC_COLLATE", "C") statement somewhere in their package
to force all their users to be on the same collating sequence.
It sounds a little bit drastic though and it might introduce some
conflicts with other packages.

So maybe a better approach is to only alter LC_COLLATE temporarily
inside the functions where it matters i.e. where the returned value
actually depends on the collating sequence? If I don't do this, then
there is no way I can write a test for my function because the
test would work for me but fail for someone else.

Actually this is the situation I was facing when I did my first post:
I have a function that downloads a list of sequences from the Ensembl
FTP server, sorts them by name, and returns them to the user. I have
a test for that function and the test was working for me when I was
doing

   tools::testInstalledPackage("MyPackage", "types="tests")

but it was failing when I was doing 'R CMD check'. It seems that
the latter alters LC_COLLATE before running the tests (maybe to
LC_COLLATE=C) but not the former. I fixed this by enforcing
LC_COLLATE=C inside my function.

A naive question: wouldn't everything be simpler if LC_COLLATE=C
was the default for everybody?

Thanks,
H.

--