[Rd] problems with iconv

Kasper Daniel Hansen kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 22:56:30 CET 2011

Roger,

Since Ripley is usually right, if I was you, I would focus on

"You need to ensure that GNU libiconv is actually used: you are
obviously not finding it, and I suspect your error is in not setting
the path to its header file."

Based on your description

"I've downloaded and compiled iconv versions 1.13 and 1.14  -
libiconv.so.2.5.0 and libiconv.so.2.5.1 and copied the iconv all over,
replacing the native iconv on my Solaris machine."

I would guess you have not copied over the header files.  Although
that is really hard to guess since you don't provide any details.  It
certainly sounds like you have done some hacking.

I agree that it can sometimes be bewildering to figure out which
library gets picked up from the output ... but the way configure works
on R is the same as for almost all other unix tools.  And you can see
the compiler command on the command line.

Kasper