[Rd] problems with iconv

Joshua Ulrich josh.m.ulrich at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 02:37:59 CET 2011

As Uwe asked, please cite the original messages.

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 4:10 PM, RogerP <rpickeri at mail.nih.gov> wrote:
> Sorry, but IMHO saying "read the manual" does not constitute actual help.
>
> But here it is from the manual:
>
> A suitably comprehensive iconv function is essential. The R usage requires
> iconv to be able to translate between "latin1" and "UTF-8", to recognize ""
> (as the current encoding) and "ASCII", and to translate to and from the
> Unicode wide-character formats "UCS-[24][BL]E" — this is true for glibc but
> not of most commercial Unixes. However, you can make use of GNU libiconv
> (possibly as a plug-in replacement: see
> http://www.gnu.org/software/libiconv/).
>
> Well, that's just what I did.  I downloaded libiconv and compiled and linked
> it.  Oh, so where to put it.  Hmmmm, don't see it anywhere here.  Do you?

The location isn't mentioned in Appendix A, which you cite a portion
of above, but it is mentioned in Solaris section of Appendix C, which
you cite below.

> Also from the manual:
>
> /You will need GNU libiconv and readline: the Solaris version of iconv is
> not sufficiently powerful.
>
> For the Solaris Studio compilers a little juggling of paths was needed to
> ensure GNU libiconv (in /usr/local) was used rather than the Solaris iconv:

This seems to indicate GNU libiconv should be installed in /usr/local,
which is the location specified in the libiconv installation
instructions:

As usual for GNU packages:
$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
$ make
$ make install

Did you try the suggestion two paragraphs above this in Appendix C?
"Some people have reported that the Solaris libintl needs to be
avoided, for example by using --disable-nls or --with-included-gettext
or using libintl from OpenCSW."

>     CC="cc -xc99"
>     CFLAGS="-O -xlibmieee"
>     F77=f95
>     FFLAGS=-O4
>     CXX="CC -library=stlport4"
>     CXXFLAGS=-O
>     FC=f95
>     FCFLAGS=$FFLAGS
>     FCLIBS="-lfai -lfsu"
>     R_LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/local/lib:/opt/csw/gcc4/lib:/opt/csw/lib"
>
> For a 64-bit target add -m64 to the compiler macros and use something like
> LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib/sparcv9 or LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib/amd64 as
> appropriate. /
>
> Well, I did that. Here are some of my options from the config.site:

<snip>

> So, here it is - all the revelent documentation on iconv.  If I've missed
> anything please let me know.  If you see where in the documentation I missed
> some cryptic clue on how to get iconv to work or where to put it or it's
> headers, also please let me know.

Did you take the steps required to resolve the circular dependency
between libiconv and gettext?

> One things for sure - you can't say I've not read the documentation!
>
> Roger

Best,
--
Joshua Ulrich  |  FOSS Trading: www.fosstrading.com