[Rd] DESCRIPTION Suggests entry help

Roebuck,Paul L proebuck at mdanderson.org
Thu Dec 15 19:53:52 CET 2011

How should the Suggests entry be written in this case?

Have package that supports parallel processing available
for multiple R versions. Original package DESCRIPTION
Suggests entry only listed 'multicore' and life was good.

Since R-2.14+ includes 'parallel' package, thought I could
reference that on the Suggests entry too. But not so fast.
As it doesn't exist for previous versions of R, how can I
add this such that multiple R versions are supported? All
older version R CMD checks fail attempting to load 'parallel';
current R CMD checks complain if I leave it out of DESCRIPTION
but require('parallel') within source itself.

And although I'm pretty sure this isn't available, any syntax
to imply 'either this or that' package? Or 'this package with
R version'?