[Rd] S4 NAMESPACE method imports and exports do not include (promoted?) generics

John Chambers jmc at r-project.org
Fri Dec 16 21:19:48 CET 2011

The subject heading is correct if referring to  exportMethods() and
importMethodsFrom().  They refer to the methods tables, not the generic
functions, whatever the extensions manual says.

Looking into the code of namespaceImportMethods() will illustrate this.
  It just deals with lists of method tables obtained from .getGenerics()
which in spite of its name also only looks for the method table metadata
objects.

As I vaguely recall, there was some concern at one time about having
extra copies of the generic version of the function.

The fundamental problem is that creating methods for unique(), say, does
not change the way calls to base::unique() work.  Therefore, all
packages that want to use methods have to ensure that a generic version
of unique gets in between.   Primitive functions are an exception
because the method dispatch is in the C code and has a rule for checking
when given an S4 object.  There is no corresponding provision for
evaluating a call to a regular function.

If the importing package has a setGeneric() for the relevant function
then its own namespace has the generic version of the function.  (That
is a workaround, but I inferred that was what you were trying to avoid.)

Fixes seem possible, but some care is needed.  If exportMethods
automatically exported the generic function, it really is no different
from export() for that function.

namespaceImportMethods() could try to supply the generic function if it
is not already present.  If it does not find the generic in the
namespace being imported, it would essentially have to call
setGeneric(), assuming the non-generic function exists in the specified
package (e.g., in base for unique()).

Comments?
   John