[Rd] Issues with building package with C src on windows [R CMD INSTALL ignoring makefile]

Jonathan Shore jonathan.shore at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 16:30:11 CET 2011

I've written a rather complex package that requires overriding the default compilation behavior for the C code component.   In the src dir I have a Makefile that is used correctly on OSX and Linux builds of the package, but completely ignored on windows.

R CMD INSTALL <package>

on windows runs Makeconf instead of running make on my Makefile.    If run make in the src directory manually on windows, the shared library compiles.

How can I get the INSTALL command to look for the Makefile?    I am building on R 2.14.0 on a win 7 vm.

Thanks
Jonathan