[Rd] axTicks.Rd documentation bug

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 16:44:12 CET 2011

?axTicks says:

    usr: numeric vector of length four, defaulting to ‘par("usr")’
          giving horizontal (‘x’) and vertical (‘y’) user coordinate
          limits.

 but this is not how the function is implemented -- in fact 'usr' should
be a vector of length two corresponding to the appropriate elements of
par("usr") [1:2 if side is 1 or 3, 3:4 if side is 2 or 4].

  A patch for src/library/graphics/man/axTicks.Rd against the latest SVN
is attached (I hope it makes it through).

  I also included an extended example of how to use axTicks without
reference to an existing plot in the logarithmic axis case: it took me
quite a bit of digging in documentation and source code to figure out
how to do this for myself, so I think it would be useful to others ...

   Ben Bolker