[Rd] R 2.12.1 Windows 32bit and 64bit - are numerical differences expected?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Feb 10 16:12:40 CET 2011

A more important difference is the number of registers available on
the CPU, which differs between i386 and x86_64.  Hence computations
get done in different orders by optimizing compilers.

And yes, all x86_64 CPUs have SSE, so the optimizer uses them at the
compiler settings we use.

As Duncan mentioned, the runtime (libc/m, on Windows mainly
MSVCRT.dll) differs between OSes.

We know rather a lot about differences between platforms, as recent
versions of R contain reference results for almost all the examples,
and we from time to time compare output from CRAN check runs across
platforms (this was part of the test suite run before releasing the
64-bit Windows port).

Almost all the 64-bit platforms are very close (and agree exactly on
the R examples), and 32-bit Solaris and Mac OS X are pretty close,
32-bit Linux has quite a lot of differences, and 32-bit Windows
somewhat more.