[Rd] read.csv trap

Laurent Gatto laurent.gatto at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 21:37:46 CET 2011

On 11 February 2011 19:39, Ben Bolker <bbolker at gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

> What is dangerous/confusing is that R silently **wraps** longer lines if
> fill=TRUE (which is the default for read.csv).  I encountered this when
> working with a colleague on a long, messy CSV file that had some phantom
> extra fields in some rows, which then turned into empty lines in the
> data frame.

As a matter of fact, this is exactly what happened to a colleague of
mine yesterday and caused her quite a bit of trouble. On the other
hand, it could also be considered as a 'bug' in the csv file. Although
no formal specification exist for the csv format, RFC 4180 [1]
indicates that 'each line should contain the same number of fields
throughout the file'.

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4180

Best wishes,

Laurent