[Rd] Writting my own package - 64 bit problem with R_GetCCallable

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Feb 11 22:53:26 CET 2011

Ryan,

On Feb 11, 2011, at 4:29 PM, Ryan King wrote:

> Hello list,
> I've been working on a package of my own.  It works fine on the 32bit
> linux machines that I've tested it on.  Someone using 64bit ubuntu
> wanted to try it, and surprising segfaults happened.  My test code
> results in no segfault, errors, or leaks from my calls when run under
> valgrind (I recompiled R with the level 2 valgrind instruments).  R
> and packages are compiled from source, so this is hopefully not a
> debian/ubuntu issue.  I'm totally stumped and hoping that this is a
> silly / common 32 to 64 bit transition issue.
>
> The problem seems to come when I attempt to access a function
> registered by the Matrix package.  During compilation (on 64 bit only)
> I get the ominous:
>
> --------------
> slim_stolen_from_matrix.c: In function ‘R_as_cholmod_sparse’:
> slim_stolen_from_matrix.c:36: warning: implicit declaration of
> function ‘R_GetCCallable’
> slim_stolen_from_matrix.c:36: warning: cast to pointer from integer of
> different size

This is the key issue - you're missing the declaration of R_GetCCallable() as the compiler tells you, so the compiler assumes "int" as the return value. However, int is only 32-bit so it won't hold a 64-bit pointer and hence you're in trouble.

All you really need is

#include <R_ext/Rdynload.h>

before you use R_GetCCallable and hopefully your issues should go away.

Note that your bug is there even in 32-bit -- you will see " implicit declaration of function" in any case -- it just is not fatal, incidentally. It is a good idea to listen to the compiler ... ;).

Cheers,
Simon