[Rd] large vignette problem

robin hankin hankin.robin at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 22:54:37 CET 2011

Hello

I am trying to get one of my packages to be less than 5Mb in size, and
it is currently
72Mb installed.  It is big because the single vignette includes half a
dozen very large PDF
images.  The PDF files are created as part of the Sweave process.

Using jpg images instead of PDFs is acceptable  in terms of picture
quality (although
not perfect), and results in a very much smaller vignette.

OK, so here’s my first plan and I’m not sure if it’s optimal::

1.  Produce the .jpg files by hand from my own PDF files.
2.  Change the .Rnw file so that it doesn’t produce the PDF files and
the vignette uses the .jpg files instead.
3. ship the package with the .jpg files and the modified .Rnw file.

This is not ideal because it’s not reproducible: only *I* can create
the jpg files from the original .Rnw file, as the new .Rnw file does
not produce the PDF files.

Or can I somehow coerce Sweave into producing jpg files instead of PDF?

Can anyone advise?

thanks

Robin

--