[Rd] CRAN package sizes

Kevin R. Coombes kevin.r.coombes at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 15:52:26 CET 2011

I think it would be even more useful if we could get Sweave to easily
produce PNG figures instead of just PDF/EPS.  In the current state of
things, making PNG versions is more cumbersome than making PDF versions,
so I'm not surprised that most people don't go to that trouble most of
the time.

I also know (from searching the archives when I wanted to try this
myself) that a couple of people have, in the past, modified Sweave so it
can generate PNG automatically.  However, the changes have never
migrated into the released version.  Perhaps the space constraints at
CRAN can convince Freidrich Leisch that the change would be a good idea....

     Kevin