[Rd] using rasterImage within image

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Feb 14 20:59:01 CET 2011

On Feb 14, 2011, at 2:28 PM, Paul Murrell wrote:

> Hi
>
> On 15/02/2011 8:11 a.m., Simon Urbanek wrote:

>>> That's great.
>>>
>>> Just a little bump: I would encourage Simon (in his copious spare
>>> time), or other interested members of R-core, to decide on a good
>>> name for the argument (as a reminder, I prefer
>>> 'method=c("raster","image")'). Furthermore, I would strongly
>>> encourage that "raster" be made the default behavior for the
>>> development release of R ...
>>>

>> Unfortunately I just encountered a speed bump today - I had no idea
>> that the Windows device doesn't even support transparent pixels. That
>> needs to be fixed before we can make it the default...
>
> See the table at the bottom of http://developer.r-project.org/Raster/raster-RFC.html for the full list of limitations.

Mea culpa - I had forgotten that the default for interpolate=TRUE (unfortunately) so all those dozens of warnings came from the fact that R was trying to interpolate on a device that doesn't support it. I stand corrected, transparent pixels are supported if interpolate=FALSE so image() should be safe.

Thanks,
Simon