[Rd] gList and gTree methods of grid::grobX

Paul Murrell paul at stat.auckland.ac.nz
Tue Feb 15 19:51:16 CET 2011

Hi

baptiste auguie wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> In an attempt to draw fill patterns in grid graphics, I have
> encountered a behavior of grobX that I cannot understand from the
> documentation. Consider this,
>
> library(grid)
>
> ## gTree
> g1 <- gTree(children=gList(
>              rectGrob(0.5,0.5, width=unit(0.8,"npc"),
>                       height=unit(2,"cm")),
>              circleGrob(r=0.3)), vp=viewport(0.5,0.5))
>
> ## gList
> g1 <- gList(rectGrob(0.5,0.5, width=unit(0.8,"npc"),
>                      height=unit(2,"cm")),
>             circleGrob(r=0.3))
>
> ## loop over angles to map the boundary
> gtheta <- function(g, theta){
>
>   sapply(theta, function(.t){
>          gx <- convertX(grobX(g, .t), "npc")
>          gy <- convertY(grobY(g, .t), "npc")
>
>          c(gx,gy)
>        })
>
> }
>
> angles <- seq(0,360,by=30)
> p1 <- gtheta(g1, angles)
>
> grid.newpage()
> grid.draw(g1)
> grid.points(p1[1,],p1[2,], gp=gpar(cex=0.2),
>             default.units="npc")
>

> If I'm not mistaken, neither gList nor gTree seem to produce the
> documented behavior,
>
> "If the grob describes multiple shapes, the boundary value will either
> correspond to the edge of a bounding box around all of the shapes
> described by the grob (for multiple rectangles, circles, xsplines, or
> text), or to a convex hull around all vertices of all shapes described
> by the grob (for multiple polygons, points, lines, polylines, and
> segments)."

That description is referring to a single *grob* object that draws
multiple shapes, something like ...

g1 <- circleGrob(x=1:3/4, y=1:3/4, r=.1)

... in your example.

The behaviour of gTrees is pretty much undefined, but the user is free
to slap a class on the gTree and write their own xDetails() and
yDetails() methods to achieve the outcome that they want.  I have
wondered about supplying a default that makes some sort of union of the
boundaries of the children of a gTree, but have not yet implemented that.

The gList case has been explicitly coded to produce the result from the
last object in the gList, but I cannot recall why I ever thought that
might be a good default.  Again, making the gList the children of a
gTree with a specific class provides the opportunity to control what
grobX() and grobY() return for yourself.

Paul

> with gList, I observe that the boundary is only considered for the
> first shape, whilst gTree ignores all children altogether.
>
> It works fine for single shapes (e.g. g1 = circleGrob(r=0.3)).
>
> The same behavior is observed with quartz(), pdf() and png().
>

> Sincerely,
>
> baptiste
>
> sessionInfo()
> R version 2.12.1 Patched (2010-12-30 r53895)
> Platform: i386-apple-darwin9.8.0 (32-bit)
>
> locale:
> [1] en_GB.UTF-8/en_GB.UTF-8/C/C/en_GB.UTF-8/en_GB.UTF-8
>
> attached base packages:
> [1] grid      stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets
> methods   base

> [1] tools_2.12.1

Dr Paul Murrell
Department of Statistics