[Rd] Reference classes and ".requireCachedGenerics"

John Chambers jmc at r-project.org
Tue Feb 15 21:52:00 CET 2011

No worries, and we will get rid of the warning message.

Certain of the S4 classes require methods for particular primitive
functions.  If a subclass of one of those classes is loaded from a
package, then we need to turn on method dispatch for the corresponding
primitive(s).  For efficiency, this information is precomputed and
stored in the variable you mentioned.  It's quite reasonable for several
instances to be encountered.  Nothing specific to reference classes
except that they need, e.g., methods for `$`.

The variable name can be added to a "dont.mind" list to suppress the
warning.

Thanks for the catch.

John