[Rd] matrixStats: Extend to arrays too (Was: Re: Suggestion: Adding quick rowMin and rowMax functions to base package)

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Wed Feb 16 18:37:57 CET 2011

That is a good argument, but the horse has been out
of the barn for quite a while: rowSums has been in R
since at least 2007 (2.6.1 is the oldest version of R
I have installed) and in S+ since at least 1998 (S+ 5.0,
the oldest I have installed).

There are lots of R and S+ functions with plurals in
the name (computeRestarts, objects, sys.calls, ...)
and I think they generally make sense to be plural.
(However, why is dim() singular and dimnames() plural?
Their results generally have the same length for a
given object.)

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com