[Rd] Easily switchable factor levels

Heinz Tuechler tuechler at gmx.at
Thu Feb 24 01:18:43 CET 2011

To me this is a common situation, especially to switch between two
languages. I solve it by separating the coding of values and their
labels. Values are coded numerically or as character, and their
labels are attached by a value.label attribute. When needed a
modified factor function transforms these variable into a factor
using the value.labels as labels for the factor.
It's, however, no nice code and a drawback is that the value.label
attribute has to be copied on subsetting.

best regards,

Heinz