[Rd] system(wait = FALSE)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Feb 24 08:07:40 CET 2011

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011, Oliver Soong wrote:

> I'm having a very odd problem with system(wait = FALSE).  I'm not
> entirely sure whether it's a bug in R or a problem on our end.  It's
> related to a post a month or so ago in R-help which got no responses,
> but I have a little more to add.

Well, the place you are asked to report issues on the Windows port is
R-windows at r-project.org.   But no one was able to reproduce this, and
it does sound as if the problem is on your specific machine.  If so,
only you can debug it and find out if it is really in R.

> This command works as expected (I use c:\tmp since c:\ isn't normally
> writable under later versions of Windows).

That's a bold claim (and untrue of my Windows 7 systems), but if c:\
is not writeable, you cannot create c:\tmp!

>  The file is created at
> c:\tmp\tmp.txt.
> system("cmd /c dir > c:\\tmp\\tmp.txt", wait = TRUE)
> This command does not work as expected.  There is no file created at
> c:\tmp\tmp.txt.
> system("cmd /c dir > c:\\tmp\\tmp.txt", wait = FALSE)

Windows' own programs are peculiar things, and often do not obey
Windows' own rules for everyone else.  So I give little weight to such
an example.  And in any case, we recommend shell() for such usages.