[Rd] R CMD build error (RProtoBuf on windows)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Feb 25 18:17:35 CET 2011

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011, Koert Kuipers wrote:

> Hello all,
> I am trying to port the package RProtoBuf to windows. The developers of RProtoBuf have given me some helpful pointers so far, but now I am stuck.
>
> After having made what I think are the necessary changes to the
> package to compile on windows, "R CMD build RProtoBuf" outputs a
> somewhat cryptic error ("This application has requested the Runtime
> to terminate it in an unusual way") after which it deletes the

Well, that's a standard Windows error message: it is normally
accompanied by a popup window with more information.

> temporary directory in which it was working. How do I
> debug/investigate this? The relevant lines of the build output are
> pasted below.

Why are you trying to rebuild the package vignettes?  Use Rcmd build
--no-vignettes to get a tarball, Rcmd INSTALL to get an installed
package: then you can run the installed package under a debugger (see
the rw-FAQ) in the usual way to track down bugs in compiled code.