[Rd] steps for problems compiling a package

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jan 7 16:18:56 CET 2011

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011, egc wrote:

> Recently installed 2.12.1 on my CentOS 5.5 box. Install of R went without
> incident, and packages downloaded and compiled fine. With one exception -- my
> interest is somewhat in the problems with this particular package, but more
> in terms of 'what to do if/when a package' doesn't compile properly.

1) For a source package, download it and unpack the tarball.

2) Read the instructions: you missed the README file, which starts

   The rjags package is an interface to the JAGS library.  In order to
   build a binary package, or install from source, you must have a
   matching installation of the JAGS library.

You might also be unaware of
http://www-fis.iarc.fr/~martyn/software/jags/

3) If you run

R CMD INSTALL rjags

then config.log will be in the rjags directory.  Which is one reason
to download and unpack the tarball: it will be in a temporary
directory if run from install.packages() or INSTALL on the tarball.

4) As for where to ask: see the posting guide!