[Rd] as.environment.list provides inconsistent results under torture

Romain Francois romain at r-enthusiasts.com
Tue Jan 11 20:33:38 CET 2011

Hello,

Using R-devel (rev 53950), I get inconsistent results with
as.environment( VECSXP ) when gctorture is on.

Consider:

a <- list( aa = rnorm, bb = runif )
gctorture(TRUE)
as.environment( a )

The last line sometimes produces the correct environment, but sometimes
I get errors. Here are the three situations:

# good
 > as.environment( a )
<environment: 0x100b1c978>

# not good
 > as.environment( a )
Erreur dans length(x) : 'x' est manquant

# not good either
 > as.environment( a )
Erreur dans list(NULL, list(aa = function (n, mean = 0, sd = 1)  :
   correspondance partielle de chaînes de caractères incorrecte

Is it because the call made by lang4 is not protected while evaluated in
this line :

     case VECSXP: {
	/* implement as.environment.list() {isObject(.) is false for a list} */
	return(eval(lang4(install("list2env"), arg,
			  /*envir = */R_NilValue, /* parent = */R_EmptyEnv),
		    rho));
     }

(BTW, this was detected in a looooooooong Rcpp-devel thread. See
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.rcpp/1336)

Romain

--
Romain Francois