[Rd] formula(model.frame(y~.^2, data=d)) does not return formula from terms attribute of the model.frame

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Thu Jan 20 00:43:22 CET 2011

It is not terribly important, but I had a model.frame
which I forgot was a model.frame and was surprised that
   lm(modelFrame)
gave me a result based on the different formula than
   formula(modelFrame)
showed.

S+'s formula() makes those consistent (and it also
makes model.frame's output have class "model.frame"
instead of just "data.frame").  That is inherited
from S version 3.  R has formula methods (especially
in package:nlme) to extract the formula from lots
of other kinds of objects, but not for model.frames.

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com