[Rd] setGeneric for residuals, etc

Janko Thyson janko.thyson.rstuff at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 21 13:08:48 CET 2011

Well, one "drawback" with S4 is that you need to write more explicit code
than in a pure S3 world, but it makes your code also a lot more robust
(method dispatch, validation etc.). As far as I understand it, working with
customized S4 objects would imply that you need to specify methods for all
those S3 functions already out there that you want to work with your
objects. For example, inside your method for 'residuals()', you will
probably just get some data out of a slot of your object and run the S3
function 'residuals(your.slot.data)'. So there's nothing that should make
you nervous in that respect, you're not overwriting anything with your
method. Setting a generic for an existing function is just a necessary step
in order to specify S4 methods for it.

However, you could also write a couple methods that coerce your custom
object into those S3 objects that the already implemented functions expect
(e.g. 'residuals()'). Another drawback might be efficiency depending on how
complex your S4 objects are (e.g. how many nested function calls are
required to get to actual data).

HTH,
Janko