[Rd] Missing argument vs. empty argument

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jan 25 11:53:19 CET 2011

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011, Renaud Gaujoux wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is there an easy, robust, and/or recommended way to distinguish a missing
> argument from an empty argument as in:

An empty argument is a missing argument when argument matching is
done, e.g.

> foo <- function(i,j) match.call()
> foo(i)
foo(i = i)
> foo(i,)
foo(i = i)
> foo(,j)
foo(j = j)

It is rather against the spirit of R to use the actual call rather
than the matched call.  Unless you are doing this to write a '['
method I would suggest you find a different convention, e.g.
distinguish f(i) and f(i, NULL).  For the exception, look at
`[.data.frame`, which does use nargs().

(NB: what I have said does not apply to primitives like '[' itself,
which do not do standard argument matching.)