[Rd] AS Algorithms

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 12:02:12 CEST 2011

On 11-07-01 4:13 PM, Mohit Dayal wrote:
> Dear R-programmers,
>
> I would like to use one of the AS Algorithms that used to be published in
> the journal Applied Statistics of the Royal Statistical Society (Series C).
> FORTRAN code based on these are available on the Statlib website at
>
> http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/modules.php?op=modload&name=PostWrap&file=index&page=apstat/
>
> with the disclaimer,
>
> *"The Royal Statistical Society holds the copyright to these routines, but
> has given its permission for their distribution provided that no fee is
> charged."*
> *
> *
> *Does this make these programs compatible with an open source license like
> GPL-2 ? More specifically, can one safely include them in an R package?*

I think that is not GPL-2 compatible.  If I'm right, they could still be
included in an R package if a more permissive license is used on the
whole package.  I don't know if CRAN will allow you to put one license
on some parts of the code, and another on those files.

> *
> *
> *BTW I am looking at AS 133 : Finding the global maximum or minimum of a
> function of 1 variable.

I don't know AS 133, but R does have other optimizers, and you may be
able to use them instead.

Duncan Murdoch