[Rd] Recent and upcoming changes to R-devel

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Mon Jul 4 14:29:12 CEST 2011

On 07/04/2011 05:08 AM, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> There was an R-core meeting the week before last, and various planned
> changes will appear in R-devel over the next few weeks.
>
> These are changes planned for R 2.14.0 scheduled for Oct 31. As we are
> sick of people referring to R-devel as '2.14' or '2.14.0', that version
> number will not be used until we reach 2.14.0 alpha. You will be able to
> have a package depend on an svn version number when referring to R-devel
> rather than using R (>= 2.14.0).
>
> All packages are installed with lazy-loading (there were 72 CRAN
> packages and 8 BioC packages which opted out). This means that the code
> is always parsed at install time which inter alia simplifies the
> descriptions. R 2.13.1 RC warns on installation about packages which ask
> not to be lazy-loaded, and R-devel ignores such requests (with a warning).
>
> In the near future all packages will have a name space. If the sources
> do not contain one, a default NAMESPACE file will be added. This again
> will simplify the descriptions and also a lot of internal code.
> Maintainers of packages without name spaces (currently 42% of CRAN) are
> encouraged to add one themselves.
>
> R-devel is installed with the base and recommended packages
> byte-compiled (the equivalent of 'make bytecode' in R 2.13.x, but done
> less inefficiently). There is a new option
> R CMD INSTALL --byte-compile
> to byte-compile contributed packages, but that remains optional.

Anticipating the future, contributed package byte-compilation will have
large effects on CRAN and especially Bioconductor build systems. For
instance, a moderate-sized package like Biobase built without vignettes
installs in about 19s with byte compilation, 9s with, while a more
complicated package IRanges is 1m25s, vs. 29s.

For Bioconductor this will certainly require new hardware across all
supported platforms, and almost certainly significant effort to improve
build system efficiencies.

Martin

--
Computational Biology