[Rd] Recent and upcoming changes to R-devel

Mark.Bravington at csiro.au Mark.Bravington at csiro.au
Tue Jul 5 02:16:58 CEST 2011

I may have misunderstood, but:

Please could we have an optional installation that does not *not* byte-compile base and recommended?

Reason: it's not possible to debug byte-compiled code-- at least not with the 'debug' package, which is quite widely used. I quite often end up using 'mtrace' on functions in base/recommended packages to figure out what they are doing. And sometimes I (and others) experiment with changing functions in base/recommended to improve functionality. That seems to be harder with BC versions, and might even be impossible, as best I can tell from hints in the documentation of 'compile').

Personally, if I had to choose only one, I'd rather live with the speed penalty from not byte-compiling. But of course, if both are available, I could install both.

Thanks

Mark

--
Mark Bravington
CSIRO Mathematical & Information Sciences

ph (+61) 3 6232 5118
fax (+61) 3 6232 5012
mob (+61) 438 315 623