[Rd] [datatable-help] speeding up perception

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Jul 5 21:18:26 CEST 2011

On Jul 5, 2011, at 2:08 PM, Matthew Dowle wrote:

> Simon (and all),
>
> I've tried to make assignment as fast as calling `[<-.data.table`
> directly, for user convenience. Profiling shows (IIUC) that it isn't
> dispatch, but x being copied. Is there a way to prevent '[<-' from
> copying x?

Good point, and conceptually, no. It's a subassignment after all - see R-lang 3.4.4 - it is equivalent to

`*tmp*` <- x
x <- `[<-`(`*tmp*`, i, j, value)
rm(`*tmp*`)

so there is always a copy involved.

Now, a conceptual copy doesn't mean real copy in R since R tries to keep the pass-by-value illusion while passing references in cases where it knows that modifications cannot occur and/or they are safe. The default subassign method uses that feature which means it can afford to not duplicate if there is only one reference -- then it's safe to not duplicate as we are replacing that only existing reference. And in the case of a matrix, that will be true at the latest from the second subassignment on.

Unfortunately the method dispatch (AFAICS) introduces one more reference in the dispatch chain so there will always be two references so duplication is necessary. Since we have only 0 / 1 / 2+ information on the references, we can't distinguish whether the second reference is due to the dispatch or due to the passed object having more than one reference, so we have to duplicate in any case. That is unfortunate, and I don't see a way around (unless we handle subassignment methods is some special way).

Cheers,
Simon