[Rd] [datatable-help] speeding up perception

luke-tierney at uiowa.edu luke-tierney at uiowa.edu
Wed Jul 6 01:07:30 CEST 2011

On Tue, 5 Jul 2011, Matthew Dowle wrote:

> Simon (and all),
>
> I've tried to make assignment as fast as calling `[<-.data.table`
> directly, for user convenience. Profiling shows (IIUC) that it isn't
> dispatch, but x being copied. Is there a way to prevent '[<-' from
> copying x?  Small reproducible example in vanilla R 2.13.0 :
>
>> x = list(a=1:10000,b=1:10000)
>> class(x) = "newclass"
>> "[<-.newclass" = function(x,i,j,value) x      # i.e. do nothing
>> tracemem(x)
> [1] "<0xa1ec758>"
>> x[1,2] = 42L
> tracemem[0xa1ec758 -> 0xa1ec558]:    # but, x is still copied, why?

This one is a red herring -- the class(x) <- "newclass" assignment is
bumping up the NAMED value and as a result the following assignment
needs to duplicate. (the primitive class<- could be modified to avoid
the NAMED bump but it's fairly intricate code so I'm not going to look
into it now).

[A bit more later in reply to Simon's message]

luke