[Rd] Recent and upcoming changes to R-devel

Kasper Daniel Hansen kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 15:25:15 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 8:08 AM, Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> In the near future all packages will have a name space.  If the sources do
> not contain one, a default NAMESPACE file will be added. This again will
> simplify the descriptions and also a lot of internal code.  Maintainers of
> packages without name spaces (currently 42% of CRAN) are encouraged to add
> one themselves.

This is great.  However, it would also be great if a user could
disable this for a given package at install time, for example with a
command line argument to R CMD INSTALL.  Use case: in the early stages
of package development I find it incredible useful to not have a
NAMESPACE.  This is of course before I release it to anyone else;
purely for development.

My guess is that this has already been anticipated, but in case not, I
wanted to raise the issue.

Kasper