[Rd] [R] Problem compiling in extra/xdr

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jul 19 00:08:18 CEST 2011

1) R-help is the wrong list: see the posting guide.  I've moved this
to R-devel.

2) A glibc system should not be compiling in that directory.  glibc
2.14 is rather recent and NEWS does say

* The RPC implementation in libc is obsoleted.  Old programs keep working
   but new programs cannot be linked with the routines in libc anymore.
   Programs in need of RPC functionality must be linked against TI-RPC.
   The TI-RPC implementation is IPv6 enabled and there are other benefits.

   Visible changes of this change include (obviously) the inability to link
   programs using RPC functions without referencing the TI-RPC library and the
   removal of the RPC headers from the glibc headers.
   Implemented by Ulrich Drepper.

So the answer seems to be that your libc is too new.