[Rd] Randomness not due to seed

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Wed Jul 20 00:06:11 CEST 2011

Did you actually see some rounding differences?

The lm objects made in the calls to maklm will
differ in the environments attached to the formula
(because you made the formula in the function).  If
I change both copies of that .Environment attribute
to .GlobalEnv (or any other environment), then identical
reports the objects are the same:

  > attr(attr(mylm1$model, "terms"), ".Environment") <- .GlobalEnv
  > attr(mylm1$terms, ".Environment") <- .GlobalEnv
  > attr(attr(mylm2$model, "terms"), ".Environment") <- .GlobalEnv
  > attr(mylm2$terms, ".Environment") <- .GlobalEnv
  > identical(mylm1, mylm2)
  [1] TRUE

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software